|UN#:||UN2213||Hazard Class:||4.1||Packing Group:||III|
Pricing and Availability
|Size||($) Price||Your Price||Quantity||Options||Availability|
|Melting point:||120-170° dec.||Density:||1.30|
Formaldehyde monomer, generated by thermolysis, has been used for the ɑ-hydroxymethylation of dilithiated carboxylic acids. Dehydration of the products affords ɑ-alkyl acrylic acids: J. Org. Chem., 37, 1256 (1972). Monomeric formaldehyde can also be prepared as a THF solution by dehydration with p-Toluenesulfonic anhydride, L00160, and co-distillation of the monomer with the solvent: Synlett, 704 (1990). The use of anhydrous molecular formaldehyde for hydroxymethylation reactions has been discussed: Synlett, 227 (1990).
For use in preparation of Mannich bases, see: Org. Synth. Coll., 3, 305 (1955); 4, 281 (1963). For reviews, see: Org. React., 1, 303 (1942); Synthesis, 703 (1973); Tetrahedron, 46, 1791 (1990).
In the presence of HCl, aromatics undergo chloromethylation. For reviews, see: Org. React., 1, 63 (1942); Russ. Chem. Rev., 46, 891 (1977). Caution! carcinogenic bis(chloromethyl) ether is formed in these reactions. In combination with Hydrobromic acid, A14475, the bromomethylation of aromatics has been effected: J. Org. Chem., 58, 1262 (1993). The same combination also N-bromomethylates phthalimide and other imides: Synlett, 933 (1994).
Reaction with dialkyl phosphites gives hydroxymethyl phosphonates, which, after O-protection, undergo the Horner-Wadsworth-Emmons reaction to give enol ethers. See, e.g.: Org. Synth. Coll., 7, 160 (1990).
|Harmonized Tariff Code:||2912.60|
GHS Hazard and Precautionary Statements
Causes severe skin burns and eye damage. Causes serious eye damage. Flammable solid. Suspected of causing cancer. Harmful if swallowed. Harmful if inhaled. May cause an allergic skin reaction.
Keep away from heat/sparks/open flames/hot surfaces. - No smoking. Do not breathe dust/fume/gas/mist/vapours/spray. IF ON SKIN (or hair): Remove/Take off immediately all contaminated clothing. Rinse skin with water/shower. IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing. Store locked up. Dispose of contents/container in accordance with local/regional/national/international regulations.
Risk & Safety
|Flammable. Harmful by inhalation and if swallowed. Causes burns. Possible risk of irreversible effects. May cause sensitisation by skin contact.|
|Keep container in a well ventilated place. When using do not eat or drink. In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water and seek medical advice. Wear suitable protective clothing, gloves and eye/face protection. In case of accident or if you feel unwell, seek medical advice immediately (show the label where possible). This material and/or its container must be disposed of as hazardous waste.|