I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to deliver better content and for statistical purposes. You can disable the usage of cookies by changing the settings of your browser. By browsing our website without changing the browser settings you grant us permission to store that information on your device.
Tin(II) chloride is widely used as a reducing agent in organic synthesis, for example conversion of quinones into hydroquinones, nitroaromatics into aromatic amines, and in Stephen reduction. It can be used to reduce certain metal salts into metals, tin plating, analytical testing of mercury ions, formation of silver mirrors and metal-metal bonds. It is also used for tin-plating, as a mordant in textile dyeing and as a catalyst in the production of polylactic acid. Further it is used as a food additive, wherein it serves as an anti-oxidant and a color retention agent. It can be used in the condensation of aryl aldehydes with cyclohexan-1,3-diones to synthesize xanthenes. It catalyzes direct conversion of aldehydes into beta-keto esters.
For applications see under dihydrate.
Karami, B.; Eskandari, K.; Zare, Z.; Gholipour, S. A New Access to 1,8-Dioxooctahydroxanthenes Using Yttrium(III) Nitrate Hexahydrate and Tin(II) Chloride Dihydrate as Effective and Reusable Catalysts. Chem. Heterocycl. Compd. 2014, 49 (12), 1715-1722.
Kamali, A. R. Thermokinetic characterisation of tin(II) chloride. J. Therm. Anal. Calorim. 2014, 118 (1), 99-104.
Chia, S. -P.; Li, Y.; Ganguly, R.; So, C. -W. Heteroleptic Germanium(II) and Tin(II) Chlorides Supported by Anionic Ligands Derived from 2,3-Dimethyl-1,4-diaza-1,3-butadiene. Eur. J. Inorg. Chem. 2014, 526-532.
Gefahrenhinweise (EU): H302-H314-H318-H317
Harmful if swallowed. Causes severe skin burns and eye damage. Causes serious eye damage. May cause an allergic skin reaction.
Do not breathe dusts or mists. IF ON SKIN (or hair): Remove/Take off immediately all contaminated clothing. Rinse skin with water/shower. IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing. IF SWALLOWED: Rinse mouth. Do NOT induce vomiting. Store locked up. Dispose of contents/container in accordance with local/regional/national/international regulations.