I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to deliver better content and for statistical purposes. You can disable the usage of cookies by changing the settings of your browser. By browsing our website without changing the browser settings you grant us permission to store that information on your device.
Dimethyl sulfide is used as a displaceable ligand in chloro(dimethyl sulfide)gold(I) and other coordination compounds, as a reducing agent in ozonolysis reactions as well as a food flavoring component. Further, it is utilized for the preparation of dimethyl sulfoxide, which is a common and important industrial solvent. It finds application in the petroleum industry.
Mahajan, A. S.; Fadnavis, S.; Thomas, M. A.; Pozzoli, L.; Gupta, S.; Royer, S. J.; Saiz-Lopez, A.; Simó, R. Quantifying the impacts of an updated global dimethyl sulfide climatology on cloud microphysics and aerosol radiative forcing. J. Geophys. Res. Atmos. 2015, 120 (6), 2524-2536.
Cui, Y.; Suzuki, S.; Omori, Y.; Wong, S. K.; Ijichi, M.; Kaneko, R.; Kameyama, S.; Tanimoto, H.; Hamasaki, K. Abundance and Distribution of Dimethylsulfoniopropionate Degradation Genes and the Corresponding Bacterial Community Structure at Dimethyl Sulfide Hot Spots in the Tropical and Subtropical Pacific Ocean. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 2015, 81 (12), 4184-4194.
Hazard Statements: H225-H319-H335
Highly flammable liquid and vapour. Causes serious eye irritation. May cause respiratory irritation.
Precautionary Statements: P210-P233-P235-P240-P241-P242-P243-P264b-P271-P280-P303+P361+P353-P304+P340-P305+P351+P338-P312-P370+P378q-P501c
Keep away from heat/sparks/open flames/hot surfaces. - No smoking. Keep container tightly closed. Keep cool. Ground/bond container and receiving equipment. Use explosion-proof electrical/ventilating/lighting/ equipment. Use only non-sparking tools. Take precautionary measures against static discharge. Wash face, hands and any exposed skin thoroughly after handling Use only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area. Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection/face protection. IF ON SKIN (or hair): Remove/Take off immediately all contaminated clothing. Rinse skin with water/shower. IF INHALED: Remove to fresh air and keep at rest in a position comfortable for breathing. IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing. Call a POISON CENTER or doctor/physician if you feel unwell. In case of fire: Use CO2, dry chemical, or foam Dispose of contents/ container to an approved waste disposal plant