I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to deliver better content and for statistical purposes. You can disable the usage of cookies by changing the settings of your browser. By browsing our website without changing the browser settings you grant us permission to store that information on your device.
tert-Butyl alcohol is used as a solvent and an ethanol denaturant. It is an active ingredient in paint remover. It acts as an intermediate in the production of methyl tertiary butyl ether and ethyl tertiary butyl ether by reaction with methanol and ethanol. It is also used in the preparation of tert-butyl chloride, tert-butyl hydroperoxide, isobutylene and methyl methacrylate. It serves as a fuel additive as well as a gasoline octane booster.
Qi, L.; Qi, X.; Wang, L.; Feng, L.; Lu, S. Decomposition of tert-butyl hydroperoxide into tert-butyl alcohol and O2 catalyzed by birnessite-type manganese oxides: Kinetics and activity. Catal. Commun. 2014, 49, 6-9.
Jiang, T.; Cheng, J.; Liu, W.; Fu, L.; Zhou, X.; Zhao, Q.; Yin, H. Sulfuric acid functional zirconium (or aluminum) incorporated mesoporous MCM-48 solid acid catalysts for alkylation of phenol with tert-butyl alcohol. J. Solid State Chem. 2014, 218, 71-80.
Hazard Statements: H225-H319-H332-H335-H336
Highly flammable liquid and vapour. Causes serious eye irritation. Harmful if inhaled. May cause respiratory irritation. May cause drowsiness or dizziness.
Precautionary Statements: P210-P233-P235-P240-P241-P242-P243-P260-P264b-P271-P280-P303+P361+P353-P304+P340-P305+P351+P338-P312-P314-P370+P378q-P501c
Keep away from heat/sparks/open flames/hot surfaces. - No smoking. Keep container tightly closed. Keep cool. Ground/bond container and receiving equipment. Use explosion-proof electrical/ventilating/lighting/ equipment. Use only non-sparking tools. Take precautionary measures against static discharge. Do not breathe dust/fume/gas/mist/vapours/spray. Wash face, hands and any exposed skin thoroughly after handling Use only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area. Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection/face protection. IF ON SKIN (or hair): Remove/Take off immediately all contaminated clothing. Rinse skin with water/shower. IF INHALED: Remove to fresh air and keep at rest in a position comfortable for breathing. IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing. Call a POISON CENTER or doctor/physician if you feel unwell. Get medical advice/attention if you feel unwell. In case of fire: Use CO2, dry chemical, or foam Dispose of contents/ container to an approved waste disposal plant