I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to deliver better content and for statistical purposes. You can disable the usage of cookies by changing the settings of your browser. By browsing our website without changing the browser settings you grant us permission to store that information on your device.
Potassium permanganate is an oxidizing agent, is used in the synthesis of organic compounds like ascorbic acid, chloramphenicol, saccharin, isonicotinic acid and pyrazinoic acid and in pharmaceutical intermediate. It is used to remove ferrous impurities from inorganic chemicals. It is also used in analytical chemistry as a reagent for redox titrations and to determine the kappa number of wood pulp. It is mostly used in water treatment and as a disinfectant. It also shows useful application as a chemiluminescence reagent.
Adcock, J. L.; Barnett, N. W.; Barrow, C. J.; Francis, P. S. Advances in the use of acidic potassium permanganate as a chemiluminescence reagent: A review. Anal. Chim. Acta 2014, 807, 9-28.
Wu, C.; Zhang, G.; Zhang, P.; Chang, C. C. Disintegration of excess activated sludge with potassium permanganate: feasibility, mechanisms and parameter optimization. Chem. Eng. J. 2014, 240, 420-425.
Hazard Statements: H272-H302-H314-H335-H373
May intensify fire; oxidizer. Harmful if swallowed. Causes severe skin burns and eye damage. May cause respiratory irritation. May cause damage to organs through prolonged or repeated exposure.
Precautionary Statements: P210-P220-P221-P260-P264b-P270-P271-P280-P303+P361+P353-P304+P340-P305+P351+P338-P310-P330-P331-P363-P370+P378q-P501c
Keep away from heat/sparks/open flames/hot surfaces. - No smoking. Keep/Store away from clothing/combustible materials. Take any precaution to avoid mixing with combustibles. Do not breathe dust/fume/gas/mist/vapours/spray. Wash face, hands and any exposed skin thoroughly after handling Do not eat, drink or smoke when using this product. Use only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area. Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection/face protection. IF ON SKIN (or hair): Remove/Take off immediately all contaminated clothing. Rinse skin with water/shower. IF INHALED: Remove to fresh air and keep at rest in a position comfortable for breathing. IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing. Immediately call a POISON CENTER or doctor/physician. Rinse mouth. Do NOT induce vomiting. Wash contaminated clothing before reuse. In case of fire: Use CO2, dry chemical, or foam Dispose of contents/ container to an approved waste disposal plant