I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to deliver better content and for statistical purposes. You can disable the usage of cookies by changing the settings of your browser. By browsing our website without changing the browser settings you grant us permission to store that information on your device.
Sodium borohydride is used as a reagent in the reduction of amino acids and their derivatives. Also used as a catalyst in the ammonia borane dehydrogenation. Sodium borohydride is used as a reducing agent in the synthesis of gold nanoparticles. It is also used for wood pulp and as a blowing agent for plastics. It reduces the aldehyde and keto groups to give the corresponding alcohols.
Olu, P. Y.; Gilles, B.; Job, N.; Chatenet, M. Influence of the surface morphology of smooth platinum electrodes for the sodium borohydride oxidation reaction. Electrochem. Commun. 2014, , 43, 47-50.
Deraedt, C.; Salmon, L.; Gatard, S.; Ciganda, R.; Hernandez, R.; Ruiz, J.; Astruc, D. Sodium borohydride stabilizes very active gold nanoparticle catalysts. Chem. Commun. 2014, , 50, (91), 14194-14196.
Hazard Statements: H260-H301-H314-H360FD
In contact with water releases flammable gases which may ignite spontaneously. Toxic if swallowed. Causes severe skin burns and eye damage. May damage fertility. Suspected of damaging the unborn child. May damage fertility. May damage the unborn child.
Precautionary Statements: P201-P202-P223-P231+P232-P260-P264b-P270-P271-P281-P303+P361+P353-P304+P340-P305+P351+P338-P310-P330-P331-P335+P334-P363-P370+P378q-P501c
Obtain special instructions before use. Do not handle until all safety precautions have been read and understood. Keep away from any possible contact with water, because of violent reaction and possible flash fire. Handle under inert gas. Protect from moisture. Do not breathe dust/fume/gas/mist/vapours/spray. Wash face, hands and any exposed skin thoroughly after handling Do not eat, drink or smoke when using this product. Use only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area. Use personal protective equipment as required. IF ON SKIN (or hair): Remove/Take off immediately all contaminated clothing. Rinse skin with water/shower. IF INHALED: Remove to fresh air and keep at rest in a position comfortable for breathing. IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing. Immediately call a POISON CENTER or doctor/physician. Rinse mouth. Do NOT induce vomiting. Brush off loose particles from skin. Immerse in cool water/wrap in wet bandages. Wash contaminated clothing before reuse. In case of fire: Use CO2, dry chemical, or foam Dispose of contents/ container to an approved waste disposal plant