I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to deliver better content and for statistical purposes. You can disable the usage of cookies by changing the settings of your browser. By browsing our website without changing the browser settings you grant us permission to store that information on your device.
Oxalic acid dihydrate acts as an analytical reagent, as a reducing agent for photographic films and as a mordant in dyeing process. It is used as a plating agent, a surface treating agent, a grinding agent, a precipitating agent in rare-earth mineral processing, a bleaching agent in textile and a purifying agent in pharmaceutical industry. It plays an important role in antibiotic medication like oxytetracycline and chloramphenicol. It finds application in water treatment plants to remove calcium waste water. It is also used as a buffer in chromatographic separation as well as bleach for wood, removing black stains caused by water penetration.
For a brief feature on uses as a very useful Bronsted acid in organic synthesis, see: Synlett, 2838 (2004).
Stash, A. I.; Chen, Y. S.; Kovalchukova, O. V.; Tsirelson, V. G. Electron density, electrostatic potential, and spatial organization of ammonium hydrooxalate oxalic acid dihydrate heteromolecular crystal from data of diffraction experiment at 15 K using synchrotron radiation and theoretical calculations. Russ. Chem. Bull. 2013, 62 (8), 1752-1763.
Mokhtary, M.; Qandalee, M.; Niaki, M. R. Highly Efficient Selective Oxygenation of Sulfides to Sulfoxides by Oxalic Acid Dihydrate in the Presence of H2O2. J. Chem. 2012, 9 (2), 863-868.
Hazard Statements: H290-H302-H312-H318-H335-H373
May be corrosive to metals. Harmful if swallowed. Harmful in contact with skin. Causes serious eye damage. May cause respiratory irritation. May cause damage to organs through prolonged or repeated exposure.
Precautionary Statements: P234-P260-P264b-P270-P271-P280-P301+P312-P302+P352-P304+P340-P305+P351+P338-P310-P312-P314-P330-P363-P390-P501c
Keep only in original container. Do not breathe dust/fume/gas/mist/vapours/spray. Wash face, hands and any exposed skin thoroughly after handling Do not eat, drink or smoke when using this product. Use only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area. Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection/face protection. IF SWALLOWED: Call a POISON CENTER or doctor/physician if you feel unwell. IF ON SKIN: Wash with plenty of soap and water. IF INHALED: Remove to fresh air and keep at rest in a position comfortable for breathing. IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing. Immediately call a POISON CENTER or doctor/physician. Get medical advice/attention if you feel unwell. Rinse mouth. Wash contaminated clothing before reuse. Absorb spillage to prevent material damage. Dispose of contents/ container to an approved waste disposal plant