I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to deliver better content and for statistical purposes. You can disable the usage of cookies by changing the settings of your browser. By browsing our website without changing the browser settings you grant us permission to store that information on your device.
Sodium metabisulfite is used as an active ingredient in campden tablets, as a cleaning agent for potable water reverse osmosis membranes, as a preservative and an antioxidant in food. It also acts as a corrosion inhibitor in oil and gas industry, as a bleaching agent in the production of coconut cream, as the source of sulfur dioxide and in the destruction of cyanide in commercial gold cyanidation processes. It is utilized in the precipitation of gold from auric acid as well as in the waste water treatment to remove hexavaent chromium as trivalent chromium by precipitation after reduction. Further, it is used in photography. In addition, it plays as an oxygen scavenger to eliminate the dissolved oxygen in wastewater and in pipes.
Tan, T. C.; Cheng, L. H.; Bhat, R.; Rusul, G.; Easa, A. M. Effectiveness of ascorbic acid and sodium metabisulfite as anti-browning agent and antioxidant on green coconut water (Cocos nucifera) subjected to elevated thermal processing. Int. Food Res. J. 2015, 22 (2), 631-637
Zaid, B.; Maddache, N.; Saidi, D.; Souami, N.; Bacha, N.; Ahmed, A. S. Electrochemical evaluation of sodium metabisulfite as environmentally friendly inhibitor for corrosion of aluminum alloy 6061 in a chloride solution. J. Alloys Compd. 2015, 629, 188-196.
Hazard Statements: H302-H318
Harmful if swallowed. Causes serious eye damage.
Precautionary Statements: P260-P264b-P270-P280-P301+P312-P305+P351+P338-P310-P314-P330-P501c
Do not breathe dust/fume/gas/mist/vapours/spray. Wash face, hands and any exposed skin thoroughly after handling Do not eat, drink or smoke when using this product. Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection/face protection. IF SWALLOWED: Call a POISON CENTER or doctor/physician if you feel unwell. IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing. Immediately call a POISON CENTER or doctor/physician. Get medical advice/attention if you feel unwell. Rinse mouth. Dispose of contents/ container to an approved waste disposal plant