Dimethyl trisulfide is reported as a major aroma component in cooked Brassicaceous vegetables. Trap baits containing dimethyl trisulfide have been used to capture Calliphora loewi and other blowflies. Dimethyl trisulfide along with dimethyl sulfide and dimethyl disulfide have been confirmed as volatile compounds given off by the fly-attracting plant known as dead-horse arum (Helicodiceros muscivorus). These flies are attracted to the odor of fetid meat and help pollinate this plant.
Maruyama FT. Identification of dimethyl trisulfide as a major aroma component of cooked brassicaceous vegetables. Maruyama. J. Food Sci. 1970, 35(5), 540-543.
Mika Shirasu et. al,; Shunji Nagai,; Ryuichi Hayashi,; Atsushi Ochiai,; Kazushige Touhara. Dimethyl trisulfide as a characteristic odor associated with fungating cancer wounds. . Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry,. 2009, 73(9), 2117-2120.
Hazard Statements: H226-H302-H315-H319-H335
Flammable liquid and vapour. Harmful if swallowed. Causes skin irritation. Causes serious eye irritation. May cause respiratory irritation.
Precautionary Statements: P210-P233-P235-P240-P241-P242-P243-P261-P264b-P270-P271-P280-P301+P312-P303+P361+P353-P304+P340-P305+P351+P338-P312-P330-P332+P313-P337+P313-P363-P370+P378q-P501c
Keep away from heat/sparks/open flames/hot surfaces. - No smoking. Keep container tightly closed. Keep cool. Ground/bond container and receiving equipment. Use explosion-proof electrical/ventilating/lighting/ equipment. Use only non-sparking tools. Take precautionary measures against static discharge. Avoid breathing dust/fume/gas/mist/vapours/spray. Wash face, hands and any exposed skin thoroughly after handling Do not eat, drink or smoke when using this product. Use only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area. Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection/face protection. IF SWALLOWED: Call a POISON CENTER or doctor/physician if you feel unwell. IF ON SKIN (or hair): Remove/Take off immediately all contaminated clothing. Rinse skin with water/shower. IF INHALED: Remove to fresh air and keep at rest in a position comfortable for breathing. IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing. Rinse mouth. If skin irritation occurs: Get medical advice/attention. If eye irritation persists: Wash contaminated clothing before reuse. In case of fire: Use CO2, dry chemical, or foam Dispose of contents/ container to an approved waste disposal plant