I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to deliver better content and for statistical purposes. You can disable the usage of cookies by changing the settings of your browser. By browsing our website without changing the browser settings you grant us permission to store that information on your device.
Sodium methoxide is used as a base and a reagent in organic chemistry. It is useful in the synthesis of pharmaceuticals and agrochemicals. It acts as a nucleophile and is used in the production of methyl ethers. It serves as an initiator of anionic addition polymerization with ethylene oxide, forming a polyether with high molecular weight. It is involved in the production of biodiesel from vegetable oils and animal fats.
Zeng, D.; Li, R.; Feng, M.; Fang, T. Continuous Esterification of Free Fatty Acids in Crude Biodiesel by an Integrated Process of Supercritical Methanol and Sodium Methoxide Catalyst. Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 2014, 174 (4), 1484-1495.
Wuke, L.; Weijiang, Z.; Jiao, X.; Lei, Z. Study of the reaction between boron trifluoride methanol complex and sodium methoxide. J. Coord. Chem. 2014, 67 (9), 1530-1540.
Hazard Statements: H228-H290-H302-H314-H335-H500-X
Flammable solid. May be corrosive to metals. Harmful if swallowed. Causes severe skin burns and eye damage. May cause respiratory irritation. May form combustible dust concentrations in air
Precautionary Statements: P210-P234-P235+P410-P240-P241-P260-P264b-P270-P271-P280-P303+P361+P353-P304+P340-P305+P351+P338-P310-P330-P331-P363-P370+P378q-P390-P501c
Keep away from heat/sparks/open flames/hot surfaces. - No smoking. Keep only in original container. Keep cool. Protect from sunlight. Ground/bond container and receiving equipment. Use explosion-proof electrical/ventilating/lighting/ equipment. Do not breathe dust/fume/gas/mist/vapours/spray. Wash face, hands and any exposed skin thoroughly after handling Do not eat, drink or smoke when using this product. Use only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area. Wear protective gloves/protective clothing/eye protection/face protection. IF ON SKIN (or hair): Remove/Take off immediately all contaminated clothing. Rinse skin with water/shower. IF INHALED: Remove to fresh air and keep at rest in a position comfortable for breathing. IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and easy to do. Continue rinsing. Immediately call a POISON CENTER or doctor/physician. Rinse mouth. Do NOT induce vomiting. Wash contaminated clothing before reuse. In case of fire: Use CO2, dry chemical, or foam Absorb spillage to prevent material damage. Dispose of contents/ container to an approved waste disposal plant